08 April 2008

Recommended Reading

Skinny Bitch: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous by Rory Freedman, Kim Barnouin


Obviously the title of this book commands some attention. After hearing a little about this book, (it is on the NYT best seller list), my mother-in-law loaned me her copy to read.
Content warning: if anyone is very sensitive to a little crass cussing, this book is not for them. If you can get past the authors lack of use for better words, this book actually has some fascinating information. They are unabashedly promoting the vegan lifestyle and after reading it I was tempted to adopt a vegan lifestyle as well. However, I have truly found a balance in my diet choices and even though I still eat meat, here are some nuggets I pulled from the book:
  • Absolutely NO artificial sweeteners. Aspartame, Saccharine and Splenda are No's. Healthy alternatives are Stevia, raw sugar, Agave nectar, honey and more.
  • Whole grains, no refined sugar or white flour
  • Lots of fruit and vegetables. Organic, locally grown is best
  • Ridding your life of toxic food, toxic things and toxic people/relationships!
It is best to read the book for yourself and find out what might be in your diet and life that needs to go to the trash compactor. Even though I have made some decisions for me and my family I want to be careful not to push those on others. Ultimately this book really doesn't want you to become a Skinny Bitch, but a healthy person.

Here are some book reviews from other readers (good and bad!)

1 comment:

Liz said...

Ha! The title is funny. I wish that we could eat all organically grown foods! We are trying to get on that kick too, its so expensive though. We would need a second job to pay for it :) I love being a hippie though. I try anyway!