31 October 2008

Elyse's Macaroni & Cheese

They wanted to switch seats for lunch, so that is why there is a 3 year old in a highchair!


Elyse loves noodles and pasta more than any child I know!  She loves the texture, taste, look, and the many options for noodles.  We made a dish together and it turned out great--it is a classic baked Macaroni and Cheese.


8 oz. elbow macaroni
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
2 c. milk
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
little dash of red pepper
8 oz. of cheese (we do 4 oz. cheddar, 4 oz. italian blend)
1/3 c. bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 400.
Prepare pasta.  Melt butter in saucepan. Whisk in flour --make a roux.  Gradually whisk in milk until thickened.  Stir in salt and peppers, 4 oz. of cheese and pasta.
Spoon into a baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Sprinkle bread crumbs on the top.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes; until bubbly.

She loves eating it with fresh tomatoes!


3 comments:

Lee and Jod said...

Oh Geeze...this is COMPELTELY what baby and I have been craving...! My OB asked me to watch the carbs...but girl...I can't resisit come good ole' mac and cheese!

jess said...

YUM! That sounds great....something I'll definitely have to try. I'm a sucker for a good mac-n-cheese :)

The Wilburn Family said...

I wrote down your recipe today, Jess. It sounds great! Hope you are doing well in MO. We're going to be around home for a little over a week at Christmas time, so hopefully we can get together. We weren't able to make it back for Homecoming because Mark had parent-teacher conferences that week (he recently started teaching again). Hope to catch up soon! I added your blog to our site - hope that's ok!