My mom made homemade bread the whole time growing up--and still does. I guess I thought everybody's mom made homemade bread almost everyday! Women in my generation act like you have completed an intense brain surgery if you make a loaf of homemade bread. What I am trying to say is that bread-making is becoming a lost art.
A food writer in my local newspaper (yes, I am a tangible media junkie), wrote an article this week on sourdough bread. She has had her starter in her fridge going for 40 YEARS! It was passed down from her mom. It piqued my interest in the art of bread making, so I set out to further educate myself on the specifics of sourdough bread. I found these great tutorials on YouTube, called 'Pioneer Living' (click here) hosted by a woman who grew up in the Alaskan Bush before Alaska was a U.S. state. She has been my sourdough professor, if you will.
There are so many interesting things about sourdough. It is actually 'wild yeast' that is found in your home. Here is another interesting link on sourdough bread:
My starter on Day #2!
1 comment:
Good for you for making homemade bread! And love the recipe for the tomato soup, will have to try that!!
Post a Comment