28 March 2009

This ain't your Campbell's, baby!

I made the most AMAZING Creamy Tomato Soup today.  It was a rainy, cold March day here in the Midwest, so I pulled out a recipe I cut out several weeks ago from our local paper.  Dixie Yates, owner of Yates House Bed and Breakfast in Rocheport, MO submitted this recipe.  

1 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1-1/2 T. Italian seasonings (I used Herbes de Provence and boy was it good!)
1 23-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. chicken broth
1 12-oz. can evaporated milk
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in dutch oven over med-high heat.  Add onion; saute 5-7 minutes.  Stir in seasonings, cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add tomatoes and baking soda, then chicken broth.  Bring to a simmer partially covered to blend flavors.  Puree soup with a hand-held blender until creamy!  Stir in milk and heat to simmer.  Season with salt and pepper.  


My 3-1/2 year old taste tester.



The final product--ready for Chris's taste buds!









1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Yum!!! I LOVE tomato soup, so I'm definitely going to have to try this! I'll let you know how it turns out! :)